Good business management
Our basis of good business strategy is led by a steering group, supported by a small team of specialists reporting to our Head of Corporate Responsibility.
The management structure has been updated this year, prompted by our Stakeholder round table and a review of our performance. The steering group, which meets every quarter, now includes the Marketing Directors from Argos and Homebase to help represent the customers perspective and strengthen the links to each Operating Company. The steering group now comprises:
- Gordon Bentley (Group Company Secretary and committee chair)
- Terry Duddy (Group Chief Executive)
- Maria Thompson (Group Commercial Director)
- David Guise (Group HR Director)
- Chris Wermann (Director of Corporate Affairs)
- Karen MacLaughlan (Marketing Director, Argos)
- Jo Kenrick (Marketing Director, Homebase)
Two management groups provide input into the top level steering group:
- The first, which focuses on environment and ethical matters (waste, energy, products and supply chain – WEPS) is chaired by Maria Thompson (Group Commercial Director).
- The second, which focuses on community and colleague matters (Colleague and Community Group – CCG) is chaired by David Guise (Group HR Director).
Three working groups, dealing with waste minimisation, energy and product and supply chain report into the WEPS group and a similar structure is being developed for CCG. CCG will be supported by four working groups, dealing with charitable giving, volunteering, talent and skills in the community and well being and support. As the chairs for each of these working groups are appointed the website will be updated accordingly
Gordon Bentley is the Operating Board member responsible for the basis of good business and leads discussion and decision-making at Operating Board and plc Board levels. He updates the Operating Board monthly about short-term issues and on progress against targets and objectives. The plc Board reviews progress on the corporate responsibility strategy annually and also receives regular updates at scheduled meetings.
The Head of Corporate Responsibility updates the Argos and Homebase management Boards quarterly on progress against targets and objectives, and annually on our basis of good business strategy.
Targets and objectives
Every year we set targets and objectives that help us make progress against our five good business principles.
Find out more about progress against these this year in our 'Performance against objectives' section.
We’re also embedding good practice across the business through our internal communications and our policies.
Find out more in our 'Stakeholder engagement' section.
Find out more in our 'Policies' section.
Across our stores, distribution centres and offices charity champions and waste and energy champions play a key role in promoting our responsible approach.